Saturday, September 29, 2007

When E is away, Karen will pay

As you all know, it's duck hunting season. Right. If you're like me, you're envisioning classic Daffy Duck/Elmer Fudd Loony Tunes episodes. However, to some people, it's a lifestyle. E dressed all in camo, packed a giant bag full of boots and crap, grabbed a box of Heineken, and left this morning (I took photos, but they disappeared off my CF card --?)

Left unsupervised for less than an hour, I signed a lawn care contract because I've had it with our DogPatch lawn. E says no one cares about the lawn, and we'll just keep mowing down the weeds, but I care. This is the first time I've lived in a house with a private lawn since I was a kid and I don't want it to be a big weed patch. I am officially in charge of grounds, and at first I enjoyed the challenge of trying to get the grass to grow, but I quickly discovered that I much prefer perusing flower catalogues to pulling dandelions and inspecting brown patches for grubs.

The contract is 1/3 of the price I was expecting the guy to quote, and if they get the job done, it will be well worth it. I know E will be against paying for lawn care because to him, everyone is working on projects during all waking hours, so why not add lawn care to the list? To me, it's worth paying someone to deal with the lawn so I can freaking relax and spend a Saturday reading a book without having to avert my eyes and feel depressed and embarrassed every time I look at our lawn.

The company I chose appears to be on the 'up and up' despite their bizarre logo:



What IS that thing? It looks like those weird animated films made in the '60s. DUUUDE- got WEED? I'm hoping their insane Peter Pan butterfly man can get the grubs out, eliminate weeds and make our lawn presentable. I wonder if their workers dress like that...

P.S. There are laws in Quebec about what kind of pesticide you can use - there is no "Chem Lawn" available - methods have to be environmentally friendly. We have the strictest laws in North America. I am 100% for these laws, but I also want a nice lawn - stay tuned for the follow-up next year.

1 comment:

Dodi said...

I would hire a lawn service if I had a yard. It isn't worth the procrastination-induced guilt.

That lawn fairy guy is just bizarre. If your new guys show up in the attire you *must* post pictures.