Monday, December 15, 2008
I put up my first Christmas tree in Parrot Island! This is the first December we're here more than we're gone. For decor, E had a giant Clark Griswold-esque ball of lights, a couple of M&M characters that attach to the lights and glow, and one box of white ornaments. Hmmm, we may need to supplement our selection. I bought a couple of the JUMBO ornaments that seem to be 'in' for 2008, but I can't bring myself to buy pastel tree ornaments - what's up with the Martha Stewart Easter Color Scheme?
We also have an odd selection of holiday music: the complete John Denver & the Muppets, the Barenaked Ladies, plus a couple of AC/DC tunes like Mistress for Christmas, and AC/DC's own very special version of "My Favorite Things" - that's a must-hear if you don't have it, but you might not want to play it in front of kids old enough to repeat lyrics.
My Favorite Things include watching A Charlie Brown Christmas (uncut, no commercials) the creepy Alastair Sim version of A Christmas Carol, Bad Santa, Sound of Music, and Christmas Story.
If anyone has a good recipe for shortbread that involves a base layer, jam, and then a top part that allows the jam to show through, please send it to me - apparently it's one of E's favorite things.
Has everyone decked their halls?
Tuesday, December 02, 2008
I wish I were a better writer. If I were then I could explain the churning mix of emotions I've been experiencing over the past weeks. Unfortunately, I can't. Plus, it wouldn't be right to focus on pain and sorrow when I should be remembering the times we laughed and enjoyed life:
- the time she dug up a huge flower bed, and helped me shop for and plant perennials in the front yard.
- the time she told me, "You know you don't have to do everything he says" (meaning E)
- the time she found a pair of my lacy undies somewhere in the house and looped them over the stair post
- the time we cracked into the liquor cabinet to pull out the fancy liquors after a nice dinner together. We all had way more that we intended because we had to keep sampling them all.
- "pas de panache" (you had to be there)
- a Floridian Christmas 2007-- "your parents are NOT at Hooters" (they were)
While I selfishly wish I could have enjoyed more time with her, I'm happy we did open up those fancy liquors and take that trip down south last winter.
Right now I'm still in the pain, sorrow and grief phase, but I will pull it together - out of respect for her strength and ability to always see the bright side (even if it was to admire a sunset from a hospital room window) and in order to be a buoy, not an anchor for E.
E's mom passed away last Wednesday, Nov 26, and the funeral was yesterday. He's doing as well as can be expected, but it's tough. She was an incredible person who lived a full life.
She will be missed.