Friday, June 13, 2008

Just finished reading Eat, Pray, Love

Eat Pray Love is a memoir (? - the cover doesn't specify, but it doesn't say novel, so I'm assuming that her first-person accounts are true) by Elizabeth Gilbert about her post-divorce healing journey through Italy, India and Indonesia. It sounds awful, and the title was enough to scare me off, but a friend insisted I read it and even put the book in my hands. I loved the first part about Italy. I aspire to write as well as EG!! She's funny and doesn't overwrite.

That being said, she lost me in India and didn't recapture me in Indonesia. The whole prayer thing was too long and too, "look, look - I'm healed, no really - I've found the Lord - see SEE how balanced I am now." Sheesh- I wish she would have hung out with the Italian guys sipping latte through the whole book, but still, I DO recommend it. The Italy part was so strong it carried me through the rest. I will definitely look for more of her books.

What's on your summer TBR list?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been told to read Eat, Pray, Love by several people. I heard the same thing about the India part. For some reason I have a strong aversion to reading it. At first it sounded intriguing, but then I picked it up in a store and felt repulsed. I don't remember by what, but the feeling stuck. I'm sure I'll read it years from now and be sorry I didn't read it sooner.

Well, I have a certain early review copy of a novel to read, or at least a fraction of a novel. [Wink]

I just ploughed through the Scott Westerfeld Uglies series. It was very good. It is a teen sci-fi story that kept me reading for many extended lunch breaks. Could not put them down. I think I'll read some more of his work.

I've got a shelf full of books I own and have not read yet. Some Terry Pratchet, Joan Didion, and a bunch of assorted fiction and non-fiction.