Monday, November 17, 2008

Recommendations

I recently read (technically 'listened' to the audio book while driving) and enjoyed The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. It's a memoir of growing up in poverty, but it's not a depressing 'woe-is-me' sob story. She doesn't ask for sympathy - she uses her perspective as a child, and the perspective changes as she gets older. I usually do not like these kind of stories, but she's a fantastic writer, so I DO recommend it.

On my TBR list: Looking For Alaska, American Wife.
On my TRR list: A Town Like Alice

I am looking for well-written books with a strong plot, but that are character-driven. No mysteries, adventure tales or crime stories. Preferably with a female lead character. 3rd person multiple POV.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eek! I still have your Dad's copy of A Town Like Alice. I've read it to bits. The movie is good too. I saw the movie first, so it colored my reading experience. Interested to hear what you think. Does ATLA fit your requirements? It almost is an adventure tale.

Karen said...

ATLA fits the requirements, although it is pushing the limits

I love ATLA, but it's been a while since I read it, that's why it's on my TRR list.