Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Prioritizing

When you have a lot to do and have deadlines quickly approaching, it's important to prioritize to make sure the important things get done. I have to pack for a visit to Ashtabula and pack for a transfer of some of my stuff up to Parrot Island. I have to figure out how to keep my car legally registered and insured if I want to bring it to Canada and spend the majority of my time there. I also have this freaking book to finish revising - I'm going to a conference at the end of April and would like to be able to give a coherent answer to the question, "So, what's your book about?"

I woke up crabby and feeling overwhelmed. Linda and I stayed up until midnight last night digging through a giant box of clothes. Although my savings is dwindling and I have no steady source of income, I still do not want to hold on to all my possesions as though it were the depression... because it's.... depressing. I kept handing her things saying, "Here - take this." L: "Why don't you want it?"
"I don't want to pack or unpack it ever again."

Honestly, I've had it. My packing role model is Steve Martin from The Jerk. ALL I NEED IS THIS----
I'm going to stumble over the border dragging a chair, but I am not re-sorting and re-packing all those friggin' boxes.

So I'm still a little crabby, but I did get a haircut :)

Oh - remember the critique group I joined and then abandoned because someone was mean to me? Someone else wrote a nice review of one of my excerpts. Thank you, Robb from Texas :)

This thick skin of mine is really helping me handle criticism of my writing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how much is a cut and color at supercuts? r they good with the curl?

Dodi said...

Ga! I haven't even finished unpacking. There are two boxes of clothes. They were hanging in my hall closet in my apartment. I should probably just bring the whole thing to Goodwill without even looking, but I can't do it.

This is probably the last thing you want to think about, but do you need any boxes? I've got about a dozen great boxes all the same size, only used once. I got them from my brother-in-law.

The depression reasoning is a great insight. I'm a lot like my paternal grandma, tucking away bits of stuff just in case.