Friday, June 30, 2006

Meeting my Financial Advisor

E: "Why do you look so cranky and worried?"
Me: "I have no idea what I'm doing with invoicing/taxes, etc. and it's freaking me out."
E: "I know a good financial planner you can talk to"
Me: "I don't have any money - he won't want to talk to me."
E:"Yes, he will - that's what he does"

I always thought financial planners were for people who had millions of dollars to put 'somewhere' but just weren't sure where. This guy was a strategist - tell him where you are, what you're doing, where you want to be and he'll help you come up with a plan to get there.

Me: "I'm broke and working all the time and not getting my book done. I'd like to be not broke, not working all the time, finished with my first book and working on the second."

I have 3 initial things to do:
a) schedule my time and stick to the schedule. no more agreeing to last-minute rush jobs that require me to write all day. ridiculous.
b) clean my office. It's causing me undue stress.
c) network.

Parts a and b yes, I probably could have figured out for myself. It was part c that I was thinking of in the wrong way. I still need to mull over this networking stuff, but it's starting to make more sense.

So here I am, cleaning my office. Or blogging...

1 comment:

Dodi said...

Excellent! Was he expensive? I talked a planner guy once, but he wasn't a strategist, he was an "invest your bags of money sitting in the closet" kind of guy. I didn't have the kind of money to make if worth his while to work on commissions. The one good thing that came of it was a quiz and discussion showed me that I'm extremely conservative when it comes to investing. That helped me get my mutual fund choices lined up better and know what to do with my inheritence from Grandma.

Your guy sounds great. Good job.