Monday, January 02, 2006

Applying Pressure

I don't make resolutions - I am in the 'set goals all year' camp. The only time I ever made a resolution that actually worked was when I decided to try a new fruit or vegetable every month. Ahh, the wonderful world of kale.

That said, I did a mental recap - where was I last year, where am I this year, where do I want to be next year kind of thing. Obviosly my #1 priority this year is to finish the book. I am not happy with it right now. I am in the process of making some major changes to the storyline. I'm also having a lot of trouble with characterization. I'm also not happy with my productivity. I think I work a lot harder for other people. I don't like what that says about my personality. I'd like to work harder for myself. I spent a lot of time over the weekend trying to find ways to make myself accountable. Should I sign up for a class? There's one in Chicago and several online, but they cost $400-$600. That's a lot of money. I could join a critique group. I found one online that looks good. It's closed to the public - you have to be accepted and then you can log in. You can post bits of your work for critique, and you are expected to give critiques. Would this help? I'm not sure. I suppose I could try and if it didn't work out I could quit.

I do have deadline. I signed up for a conference at the end of April. Part of the deal is a 'pitch session' with an agent or editor. The editor of Red Dress Ink - a major chick lit publisher - will be there. I ranked her as my #1 choice. Being able to do a one-on-one pitch is HUGE. Otherwise, all you can do is send off letters that sit in piles. This is an incredible opportunity and I need to have my A game ready. So I'm putting pressure on myself and freaking out. Gotta stop blogging and go work on my damn character.

1 comment:

Dodi said...

Excellent advice: Tips for Frustrated writers

I'm sure QNE can help you come up with suitable punishments and rewards.