Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Come on, write a little

That's how Emma encouraged me when I got back on my rollerblades after a 10-year break - "Come on, skate a little"

I cranked out 14 pages yesterday and am back to it today. I'm somewhat cocerned that I am creating a bunch of pieces that may or may not fit together nicely in the end, but I can't worry about that too much right now.

I'm still struggling with understanding characterization. I don't want to create stereotypes. I'm hoping to be able to layer more personality and quirks onto individual characters as I go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charles Dickens created the greatest characters in the history of literature. He actually would create them in his mind and then practice the expressions in front of a mirror. And then turn it into words. The outcome was spectacular.

You're surrounded by characters. Put them in the book.

Karen said...

You're suggesting I set my bar at Charles Dickens level? Are you trying to push me over the edge? If I start talking to myself in a mirror either e. or l. WILL have me committed.

Charles Dickens indeed.

I think I'll title my book, "Lowered Expectations"