Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Driving Myself Over the Edge

The trip from Ile-Perrot to Ashtabula was not that fun. It started ok - hit the road at about 8 am, stopped for a cup of Tim's and a cran-bran muffin on the 401, crossed the border no problem, but then things got ugly.

Maybe I built up bad karma by not feeling bad for New Yorkers after their snowstorm, or maybe the national weather isn't planned around me, but either way I drove right into the middle of a huge freaking snowstorm on I81. It was awful - I couldn't see anything - the road wasn't plowed at all and everything was white. The scariest part about that is driving a white car and wondering if any trucks driving faster behind me could see me. I got off the Interstate as soon as I could, but was in the middle of nowheresville. I finally found a Deli/Bait Shop where I picked up the lunch special (mistake) and called e. to get a weather update.

E. assured me that according to the weather network, I was NOT in the middle of a snowstorm, only flurries and fog. I felt like a character in a war tv show who calls in to report taking heavy fire only to be told that there is no enemy activity in the area. I'm not saying that driving in a snowstorm is like being shot at, but I am saying that standing at an outside payphone while snow is piling up and and whipping around you and being told that there are only light flurries in your area is extremely frustrating.

I finally got back on the road and hit sunshine, then more snow. Had to pull off again, but this time at least I found a service area - much better than the store in Creepy Corners. The entire drive was a bit nerve-wracking. It's not that fun to never know how long the decent weather will last and to pass signs saying "Correctional Facility Nearby Do Not Pick Up Hitch Hikers" Not that I normally would pick up hitch hikers, but I'd prefer to think that they are Jack Keroacs, not Ted Bundys.

By the time I got to Ashtabula last night after 11.5 hours of driving, I was drained. Thinking I bought two slices of Hawaiian pizza only to discover that the yellow stuff was cheese, not pineapple was just the icing on the cake. Luckily I had plenty of Healthy Choice Rocky Road ice cream to ease my pain. I am trying to wean myself off the Ile-Perrot truffle diet.

I know this whole 'woo-hooo look at me - I can go wherever I want since I no longer work for the man' thing was my idea, but sometimes it really feels awkward adjusting to a different place and establishing a different routine. I am getting writing done, I just feel a little out of alignment today. On the bright side, it is sunny and warm and since 'woo-hoo I can make my own schedule', I went for a nice run during peak sun hours. nice.

No comments: