Tuesday, October 04, 2005

What a Character!

I've introduced most of the characters in my story, now I'm working on fleshing them out completely. The characterization exercises in some of the "how to" books are so detailed, I don't even know myself that well!

I've always loved taking those cheesy magazine quizzes and changing the answers to alter the results. I'm looking at characterization the same way - if this person is untrustworthy but fun to be around, what would she do in each of these situations...

At the same time, stereotypes must be avoided. AND it's ok to act out of character every so often to keep things lively. Characterization is quite the mixture of rules and free reign.

BTW I am in Montreal working remotely with a big vase of gorgeous flowers on my desk. Happy... so happy... :)

No comments: